We’re launching new curly and wavy hair extensions soon! Since caring for curly and wavy extensions is a bit different than straight extensions, we want to prepare everyone to make sure they’re ready to flawlessly rock their new style!
Before we get started, there’s one word to always keep in mind when it comes to hair with any kind of a curl: moisture! Extensions are already drier than natural hair because it doesn’t receive all of the oils that your scalp produces. On top of that, the curlier your hair is, the more prone it is to dryness, so keep those curls quenched!
Here are our five S’s of curly and wavy hair maintenance:
1. Showering. Try to shampoo only once or twice a week, and in between shampoos, use a heavy-duty, moisturizing conditioner. It’s best to comb through and work out any tangles in the shower, since brushing dry curls can create a frizzy mess! Combing with the conditioner in helps easily remove tangles and ensure the product is evenly distributed throughout your hair. After you shower, using a styling cream really helps lock in the moisture. You can also use a deep conditioner when you need to step up your moisture game just a bit.
2. Silicones. Using products with silicones can cause build up and weigh down your hair. If you need to use them, make sure the silicones in your product are water soluble, since those cause much less build up.
3. Sulfates. Sulfates can dry hair out, so using them can negate all the hard work you’re doing trying to keep your hair moisturized. Not to mention, sulfates can affect your bonds (especially keratin ones), causing them to slip prematurely. Basically, don’t even think about it! They’re just bad news all around.
4. Styling. You don’t always have time to let your hair air dry after a shower, but you’re worried that the hair dryer will dry out your curls too fast or blow them into a crazy mess. The easy solution? Just use a diffuser! If you use a medium heat setting, you won’t over dry your curls, and the diffuser reduces the air velocity of the dryer so it won’t affect their shape.
If you find a few strands are losing their curl or wave, feel free to use a curling iron for a quick fix. As always, make sure you use a heat protectant before using hair dryers or curling irons. Just don’t straighten the hair! The curls and waves in our extensions will relax over time, but using a straightener will really speed up this process, giving you a lot less wear time—and that’s no good!
To battle humidity, use a serum before you head out the door. No need to let the weather determine your style!
5. Sleep. The friction between your hair and your pillow can cause extra frizz that you certainly don’t need. Sleeping with a satin pillow or headscarf is a simply solution to this problem. Also, as with all types of extensions, sleeping in a braid keeps hair from matting and tangling, and it works double duty for wavy and curly extensions—it helps them keep their shape longer!
As long as you follow these tips, you’re destined to have a long-lasting, enviable curls!