Hair extensions are incredibly versatile. They allow you to extend your length, increase your volume, add highlights, lowlights, or color splashes, and even update your overall color! But while you can achieve a wide range of color looks using hair extensions alone, including custom coloring in your service opens up a whole new world of possibilities. That’s why Donna Bella Hair has partnered up with Joico Color Intensities and Framar International to bring you the biggest hair extensions/color collaboration on the web. It’s called the Color Takeover initiative, and it’s designed to help you combine the art of hair extensions with the science of coloring, right in your own salon. Visit the Color Takeover Portal to browse through tutorials, custom formulations, articles, and an array of other resources that’ll get you started on the path to color mastery. Then read on to see how you can attain some of the hottest current color trends using mixed colors and hair extensions.
Our traditional method of updating hair color involves selecting shades from Donna Bella’s available collection, then using the hair extensions alone (with no additional color) to simulate the desired look. For example, though Donna Bella may not offer the exact shade of light brown to match your client’s hair, strands of colors #8, #12, and #22 can be spread strategically throughout the hair to produce the same effect as that single light brown color. This method proves useful for customers seeking dimension, highlights and lowlights, balayages, and even ombres without any color processing, and it can produce truly spectacular results!
Custom color explores the possibilities outside of Donna Bella’s collection, making any and every color available to clients. Pastel hair, mermaid colors, and vivid emerald hues have been accomplished using this method, and it’s great for more experimental clients and for stylists with a creative eye. You can even use custom coloring to match extensions perfectly to your client’s natural hair color. The possibilities are quite limitless.
Donna Bella’s custom coloring method involves a couple of steps:
– 1 – Prepare color using Joico Color Intensities, our favorite vivid color line that requires no developer to process!
– 2 – Prepare the client’s hair by treating and/or lightening it.
– 3 – Perform a swatch test on a section of your client’s hair to see how it takes to the color. Modify your formulation as needed.
– 4 – Color the client’s hair to the desired level.
– 5 – Perform a swatch test on the hair extensions to see how the extensions take to the color. Make sure the color resembles the client’s new hair color, and modify as needed.
– 6 – Color the extensions (color #60 offers an incredible blank canvas when it comes to custom coloring extensions) to your desired level. Colored Tape-In extensions will need to have the tape replaced following this step.
– 7 – Install the extensions.
Tip: We recommend waiting a couple of days before installing the hair extensions, especially for time-intensive color jobs. Remember, installations should be performed on clean, dry hair, and the coloring process may leave an initial film of color residue on the hair that could interfere with proper bonding. Proceed with caution!
– 8 – Blend and style to finish the look.
Over the next couple of weeks, we’re going to be showing you how to attain popular of-the-moment color looks using each of these methods. Until then, be sure to check out the Color Takeover Portal and ogle at the before & afters there. It won’t be long until you can recreate all those looks yourself!